Friday, August 16, 2013

Home Sweet Home?

7 days ago I found some property (and a derelict house) on the internet just 17 miles from here
We looked. We bid. We bid three more times
Apparently someone else had a vision too.
And the bank accepted our bid.


Good Lord in Heaven, what have we done?!?!?!

If you saw house pics from my other post about this home, you'll understand there will be no "remodeling" done. Demolition is the only choice. But as Keith and I worry about the minor specifics like, is the well good? Is there asbestos in the house? Or dead Uncle Rufus in the root cellar?

 
The GK's are all about the possibilities.
"We can put the secret garden here under the willows"
"We can build a pond on the other side of the secret garden"
"This is where the tree house will go. We'll make it out of the old barn wood"
"We'll build the barn by the pond so the animals always have water and lots of shade"
 
At 9 and almost 6 their world is filled with potential. Their dreams innocent and simple. Their motivation is pure and their willingness to take the path less traveled will make it that much easier for these two middle aged eejits to follow.

18 comments:

  1. this is very exciting! what will you do with the property?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaz. It will be our new farm. we've been planning for years to downsize, to live as off grid as possible, to produce 100% of our own food and most importantly to live UNDER the poverty line. We are ready for a simpler life

    ReplyDelete
  3. You almost have to start from scratch to do what you want, our old farm house is so inefficient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! And good luck on your future downsizing. But you'd better make sure that the downsizing doesn't include getting rid of the internet & your blog 'cause I want you to keep blogging! Imagine the endless fodder for blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! A new chapter in home groanership begins!

    The GKs will let you sleep in their tree fort, i have no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunnybrook, yes from scratch. We need a trailer to live in until we can build a house for which we have no money for materials. Yikes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn

    I plan to write (free lance articles, finish my novel and yes blogging) every evening for the rest of my life after we move/ So no getting rid of me that quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan. Home "groanership" ??? Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A clean sheet; wonderful. I have friends here who are 'starting from scratch' on some land; I shall watch both projects with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Luck Donna. Living vicariously through your adventures from way over here. Lynda (Down Under)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cro. Yes it will be fun to start over. The first thing I plan to build is my own illegal alcohol still. I will need "refreshments" often with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda and TexWisgirl, happy to be the role model for other idiots who may want to do this one day. And the word "EEK" about covers my feelings these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay Yay! Now if only the bank would help YOUR potential buyer so EVERYone can go 'home' happy...! Fingers crossed. And, again - yay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kris, ah yes...banks...so much to say about them, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Geeze Donna, I go away for a few days and miss all the excitement! I am very pleased for you and Keith, the new land has so much potential and I am sure you two will make the most of that potential. Congratulations! By the way we have a 5th wheel that might meet your specs for a temp home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Donna, I just read this post and an earlier one and looked at all the photos. Best thing that could happen to this "fixer upper" is that it be torn down as you stated. Good luck to you and Keith on this new venture. We hope to downsize as well but hoping for a home that is smaller and with work already done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Donna, my husband and I finally sold our 3,000 square foot home in the Greater Houston area to move to our rural acreage. We are now living in an RV as we prepare to build some sort of cabin this year. It's been more of an adventure than I can express. For the first month, we lived on generator power --- literally, a generator running a safe distance from the RV that needed to be filled with gas every day. It's been wild, but an incredible adventure that I'll never regret.

    Good luck to you --- I will be reading!

    Lana @ Farm Life Lessons

    ReplyDelete