Monday, March 1, 2010

To Be Or Not To Be ?

Today Wee Wesley , who is not so wee anymore now that he is 2 and 1/2, was playing happily with some new Matchbox cars in the living room  I decided it would be a great time to finish a few invoices and get them in the mail. I was working at the computer, about 15 feet away from him, when I felt his chubby , warm, little hand pull my hand off the mouse. He said very quietly, "Be with me Yaya."

Thats all he wanted. He did not say PLAY with me or READ to me or FEED me , he just wanted me to BE. Not an easy request. I pride myself on my multi-tasking skills. (Pride. That is a whole 'nother long blog) I do not sit well. But today I did. I let him lead me into the living  room, away from my oh- so- important work and I watched while he went back to playing. First he let the yellow truck go down the ramp he built from a cardboard box, and then the blue truck. Occasionally, the black car  would get a chance but he clearly favored the blue truck. Eventually, I did have to make lunch for him, his grandfather and his uncle but for awhile Wes and I were just BEING together.

Several hours later, I visited my 91 year old Aunt Bernie. Usually on Mondays when I visit her, I do several things at once. I fill her med box, collect her dirty laundry, change her pillow case, maybe clean some, all the while chatting with her. Today, I sat and listened. Well, first I made a cup of coffee. I'm no saint. But I tried very hard to BE still with her, to enjoy her, to really see and hear her. To experience the stories about her father and my father, again.  Because tomorrow she could so easily BE ...gone.

Big sisters Allana (left) and Nicole (right) obviously very happy  just BEING with newborn brother Wesley

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for BEING a wonderful YaYa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great entry to your blog. I have a 21 month old son and my husband and I are transitioning into farming for our first year starting now. So often I try to multitask and forget that "being with me" is what I wanted most from my mom. Thank you for sharing- I will be sure to take some time to just be with my son, today and in our busy future.

    ReplyDelete