Friday, July 24, 2009

Pork Chop Crop 2009

July 24, 2009

For the last five years Keith and I have been raising pigs over the summer to be butchered and sold in the fall. Our customer base increases every year as people learn about the difference in taste between confinement hogs who never see the light of day, coming from who knows where, versus the pasture raised piggie who is never burdened with antibiotics or hormones. Pigs that are raised by people you know and have the run of lots of green pasture. Some folks will even come visit their little ham bones before butchering time, encouraging them. "Oh come on now, you can eat more than that...shall I get some syrup for your grain ? We can call it granola."



Our "pork chop crop" as we lovingly refer to them have the best of all of all worlds up until the day the hammer comes down . Keith often leaves large piles of manure for them to root through. I always fill up any holes they dig with water, forming a swine spa/mud bath over time. They are often fed older eggs we have on hand and several can now sit on their bottoms and beg for said treats. Regular feeding consists of organic grain mixed with organic milk which makes one fine breakfast slurry. Keith hand feeds our pig village building self esteem as he does. "Man , that is some fine lookin' bacon you got going on there ." and "If I didn't know better I would say your pork butt is even BIGGER than yesterday ! Job well done. " Once he accidently gave this wife compliments meant for pork chop crop. He won't make that mistake again.



I believe one year Keith even took the trailer through the local Dairy Queen drive up before he took them to the locker plant. Sort of a Last Meal Deal. Those Peanut Buster Parfaits made for some sticky snouts , and a raised eyebrow or three from the locker plant staff.

NOW is the time to order your pork. Don't miss out as these little porkers go very fast. See our web site for more info and prices at www.greenacresdairy.com
or just call us at 815-635-3414

1 comment:

  1. Artesian pork chops are ever so delicious! Keep raising those babes.

    Over on my Sugar Mountain Farm blog on the granite skins post you commented on stone counters. They make fabulous cottage parts. I have some pieces of black granite I'm carving to make a drain board and table utensils rack for our tiny cottage kitchen sink. See this article for the surround around my aquarium window in our bedroom. I lifted those pieces into place by hand - that was an experience!

    I've added a link to you. It will show up next time I update my blogger template.

    ReplyDelete