Saturday, February 13, 2010

Litter Lottery

This is Little Debbie. All five hundred plus pound of her. Our Red Wattle mama-to-be. If our records are correct, and they rarely are, she was impregnated by Fritz (God rest his soul) in the back of our livestock trailer on the trip home from Rockford when she and Fritz and Lady Anne were first purchased. That would make her a member of the "Tire-High" Club. The livestock trailer is too low to enable her to be  a member of the Mile-High Club. (Thanks to J.M. for that idea)

The gestation period for hogs is 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days and some say 3 hours and 3 minutes.( One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three.) This means Debbie is due to farrow...soon, in about 12 days on February 24, give or take a minute. Red Wattles are known for having large litters of between 10-16 adorable piglets. So here is the contest. Send me your guess for the date of birth and number of piglets, to my email, opies99@gmail.com. Whoever is closest on both  accounts will receive a wonderful prize which I will announce in a day or two. I'll take some more pictures of Debbie and her belly as we get closer to the expected due date to help you with your guestimation. In the event of a tie, the winner will be the person with the earliest entry. You may enter as often as you wish. Ready, set GO!

4 comments:

  1. my bet would be when you least expect it..
    You've got me very interested in the porkers. I am going to try a couple this spring. Which hopefully is just around the corner. Or when I least expect it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is that she will deliver 13 beautiful piglets on Feb. 20th. Can't wait to see them. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is 2/26 at 0333 hrs and will have 3x3=9 piglets. Deb
    P.S. Since you embarassed me by putting my weight on your blog I think I think I should win something........lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to say Feb 24 at 6:00 am because it would be an inconvenient time, your milking. Oh, I almost forgot. I'm assuming this is her first litter so how about 10 piglets. Can't wait to see them. I so miss helping our neighbor farrow.

    ReplyDelete